The historic Montrose neighborhood is located north of South Orange Avenue and east of Vose Avenue. It has elegant, large-scale homes from the last quarter of the nineteenth century through the 1930s. These homes are set on large, beautifully landscaped lots. Several of the streets were originally developed by John Gorham Vose and Henry A. Page between 1867 and 1874 as part of a residential development called Montrose intended to attract wealthy New York businessmen to rural South Orange.
About South Orange
The first European settlers arrived around 1675, and were primarily English, Dutch, and French Puritans who had earlier settled Hempstead, Long Island, and Stamford, Connecticut. They acquired most of today’s Essex County from the Native Americans and followed three trails from Newark and Elizabeth that roughly correspond to South Orange Avenue, Springfield Avenue, and Ridgewood Road. These three routes resulted in three separate communities that merged into Maplewood and South Orange.
South Orange is a 2.8 square-mile community 18 miles west of Manhattan. It is a friendly, diverse community with a population of roughly 17,000, four main residential neighborhoods and a bustling downtown with numerous shops, restaurants, a NJ Transit train station and the South Orange Performing Arts Center.
South Orange is one of only a few towns in New Jersey to retain gas light street illumination. The gaslight, together with the distinctive Village Hall, has long been the symbol of South Orange. There have been claims that South Orange has more operating gaslights than any other community in the United States.
The Newstead section is on the top of South Mountain between Glenview Road and Crest Drive, Newstead is a more recent development with most homes from the post war era. Many have views of Manhattan. Homes here are mostly colonials and expanded ranches. Tucked away into the northwest corner of the town and away from all the activity of downtown, Newstead offers peace and tranquility.
Above Wyoming, located next to South Mountain and runing along Wyoming Avenue, this area offers a variety of housing styles with homes dating to the early to mid 1900s. The homes are mostly stately brick and wood shingle colonials on landscaped properties and tree lined streets. This section is close to town, schools and parks.
Tuxedo Park turned 100 in 2013. It is situated near Seton Hall University on the eastern border of South Orange. Tuxedo Park is characterized by 1920’s colonials in an all-American neighborhood setting. The homes tend to be on a smaller scale, but still offer the architectural details of the early 20th century. It’s location, close to downtown, NYC trains, parks and Seton Hall University, is what draws residents to the area.
South Orange is 35 minutes from Manhattan via NJ Transit train or bus and many residents commute to NYC.
South Orange has two train stations and offers service into Manhattan via the Midtown Direct or into Hoboken with PATH train service to World Trade Center or through Greenwich Village via the 33rd Street train.
South Orange also offers a Jitney service which picks up commuters at stops located throughout town and drops them at either station.
Architecture is extremely varied. Most of the town is single-family wood-framed houses, and there are a few apartment buildings from various eras as well as townhouse-style condominiums of mostly more recent vintage. Houses cover a range that includes every common style of the Mid-Atlantic United States since the late nineteenth century, and in sizes that range from brick English Cottages to giant Mansard-roofed mansions. Tudor, Victorian, Colonial, Ranch, Modern, and many others are all to be found.